Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Storm Chaser: Chapter 19

Just got back from Wyoming.

Chapter 19

The next morning Elena stood on the corner in front of All Wrapped Up with Andre. Together they watched her cousin direct the unloading of his moving van. Two large men worked following his waving arm movements. Nearly everything that came off the truck was packed in small wooden crates.

“Do you think any of that is actual clothing and things or is it all scientific type equipment?” Andre asked. He took a sip of coffee from his travel mug as they watched yet another crate make its way up the back stair case. Elena shrugged and took a sip from her own travel mug.

“With Andre, it is possible. The apartment comes furnished at least so he won’t actually be making furniture out of the empty crates this time.”

“This time?”

“Yeah,” Elena said with a nod. “He did that in one of his other places.” Elena grinned. “Grandfather nearly skinned him alive for it during a surprise visit and made him promise to rent only furnished places until he married someone with sense.”

“Ah,” he said. The flow of crates stopped and each of the large men grabbed a large black duffle bag from the back of the truck. Each of the bags looked large enough to hold an average size man.

“See,” Elena said gesturing to the bags. “I bet those are clothes, sheets and towels. He doesn’t cook any more than you do so he wouldn’t need much in the way of kitchen supplies.”

“I will be living above a sandwich shop,” Mateo said walking towards them. “Why would I need to cook?” He grabbed Elena in a bear hug and swung her around in a big circle, her feet dangling a few inches above the ground. He dropped her back in place. “And you must be Andre,” he concluded.

“If I must,” Andre said with a grin.

“I have to say, you don’t really look much like your infamous cousin.”

“You don’t look much like your infamous cousin either,” Andre returned, inclining his head towards Elena.

“Only because you haven’t seen me in a dress,” Mateo replied.

“He hasn’t seen me in a dress either,” Elena told him.

“I don’t doubt it. Such things are usually reserved for affairs of state.” Mateo looked over towards his movers who were patiently waiting with the final paperwork. “Hold on a sec.” Mateo turned and signed his name with a flourish. The movers took their now empty truck and trundled away. “So I’ve worked up a system for testing the new channels or potential channels.”

“Don’t you want to unpack and settle in first?” Elena asked with a smile. Mateo waved away the comment.

“I can do that later,” he said. “But I need my notes. I kept them separate.” His stomach rumbled. “I also need breakfast.”

“There is a diner down the street,” Elena said.

“Excellent, I’ll grab my stuff and we can go.” Mateo turned and fairly bounced up the stairs and into his new apartment.

“Is he always so…” Andre began.

“Only when he has a project,” She told him. “He calms down once it isn’t quite so new anymore.”

“Like a new toy at Christmas.” Andre said as Mateo reappeared with a messenger’s bag over his shoulder.

“Something like that,” Elena confirmed.

“Something like what?” Mateo asked.

“Andre wanted to know if you were always this manic or if you had skipped your meds.”

“I never used the word meds,” Andre said.

“True, that was my term.”

“I am merely excited by this new venture of yours,” Mateo said with exaggerated dignity. He managed to hold an affronted pose for the space of a few heart beats before a grin swept over his face. “And if they medicated me I wouldn’t be as brilliant.”

“Of course not,” Elena said. “Oh speaking of brilliance,” she continued as they began walking towards the diner. “I need a brilliant name for a recipe.” She pulled out a recipe card where she had copied Consuelo’s chicken dish with the names of the ingredients changed to fit the items in the store. She handed it to Mateo who read it and passed it to Andre while she related Smith’s visit and subsequent thievery. Mateo frowned, his good humor dimmed.

“I’m not so sure I like this Smith character. Does he come often into your home?”

“No he usually stops at the door. And hopefully that will come to an end.”

“So what are you going to do about the theft?” Andre asked.

“Well,” Elena said with a wicked grin. “Since he enjoyed one ingredient so much I figured I’d send him a small gift basket with a recipe card and let him know that all of the ingredients are available for purchase at Nibbles, should he run out.” Both men chuckled.

“Sounds like you had an interesting night,” Mateo said.

“You don’t know the half of it.” Elena replied. “I also got a couple of very interesting letters. I am going to have to figure out a response.” She told them about the relocation request and the near desperate test subject volunteer.

“Do you think it is safe to bring more in with the military watching?” Andre asked with a frown.

“I don’t know. Someone smart is pulling Smith’s strings and they are bound to notice more pilots in the area.”

“Why?” Mateo asked.

“The military isn’t stupid.” Elena said with a shrug.

“I realize that but why would they connect Jasmine or Maria with the guild? Jasmine is grounded and might not have her own ship and even if she did it would stay up at Grant’s Inlet, as would Maria’s. You have other female friends. Smith can’t suspect all of them of being pilots.”

“True but he could look into new people,” Andre commented.

“Do you think he has a complete list of everyone Elena knows in town? The two women could just be friends of hers. He may not even realize they just moved here.”

“My other friends have obvious jobs though,” Elena said, slightly uncomfortable with the fact that she might have caused her friends to be investigated. All three fell silent as they reached the diner. Andre tugged the door open and the scent of bacon and coffee engulfed them. The hostess pointed them towards an empty table and told them their waitress would be right with them.

“They would have to have jobs,” Mateo said as they settled. “Or at least look like it.”

“Maybe they could set themselves up as consultants,” Elena said thinking of the new firm moving in around the corner from Nibbles.

“But consultants of what?” Andre asked as he opened his menu. “People will want to know.”

“I don’t know if you have to state it,” Elena said. “There is a place called Zolotoy Consultants moving in around the corner and there is no notice of hat they consult in.”

“Obviously they’d have to say something,” Mateo said. “Even if it was gibberish sounding. I bet we could make something up. It would have to not relate to the guild though.”

“Did you say Zolotoy?” Andre said with a frown.

“Yeah, that’s what the sigh said,” Elena told him. “Why?”

“No reason,” Andre said. “I’m sure it is just a coincidence but Zolotoy is Russian for gold.” Elena and Mateo looked at Andre and then at each other.

“You don’t think…” Elena began.

“That Peter would set up a faux consulting firm to be on hand to watch his investments?” Andre finished, a sardonic smile on his lips. “It would be fitting.”

“Great, something else to worry about,” Elena muttered. Mateo just grinned. The waitress arrived and they put in their breakfast orders. “What’s so funny?” she asked when the waitress left.

“Nothing really,” Mateo answered. “Just amused by the fact that you now have to deal with politics and that I still don’t because you are my head of house and therefore I am protected. I just have to work on the tasks assigned me.”

“Thanks a lot,” She told him.

“Don’t mention it. Speaking of the tasks assigned to me. I think I have some safety features you might be interested in.” Mateo pulled a large file folder from his bag and passed it over. Elena began flipping through scaled down images of schematics. She sighed.

“You know techno speak isn’t my first language,” she told her cousin.

“Actually I don’t think it is even your second or third.” He responded with a grin. Andre alighted. “There is a sheet with just the details in the back.” The plates arrived and Elena pulled the last sheet from the folder.

“You could have put this on the top.”

“True,” Mateo said taking a bite of scrambled eggs. “But then I wouldn’t have seen your face when you had to page through the schematics.” Elena shook her head and scanned over the simplified text. Essentially Mateo had outlined a plan to keep both her and the ship safe while investigating this new ability. She could see it involved several gadgets which was probably the reason for Mateo’s good humor and manic energy.

“How long will the build out take?” she asked taking a bite of her own omelet.

“Most of it is already done,” Mateo told her, gesturing with his fork. “That’s what the boxes were. It mostly just needs assembly and transport. Kind of like a giant jigsaw.” Elena passed the sheet to Andre. His eyes got wide as he read down the list. He passed it back.

“So you really are as good as they say huh?” Andre commented. “That could really get annoying.”

“He’s only that good if it works.” Elena said. Mateo frowned at her.

“Have you ever known my toys not to work?”

“Not once you say they are ready for the field test,” she admitted.

“They are ready for the field test. Or will be once assembled.”

“That,” Elena said pointing her fork at him “is why you are so annoying.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This has been an excellent story so far; I was disappointed when it only took me a few days of reading here and there to get caught up to the latest chapter. I look forward to more enjoyable content.