Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Storm Chaser Chapter 28

Chapter 28
28.
Elena could feel the beginnings of a headache forming behind her eyes. After brunch she had tallied the receipts and been pleased with the results. She had also created a list of items that appeared to be selling well. She would check with Roger as the week progressed to make sure they were picking up the right items for sale.

Grandfather had chosen the hotel restaurant for the late family lunch. Personally, Elena thought that was cheating on his no business rule but he had looked so pleased she couldn’t get too angry. The three of them had no sooner taken a seat than people would drift by with quick congratulations. Several of the grounded pilots had been there as well and she had made sure to smile at each of them. They did not approach the table but seemed relieved. Alexandro’s dislike of Sunday business was well known.

“Feel like the prize pony after winning the derby yet?” Mateo asked. He was slumped in the passenger’s seat with a slight smile on his face.

“A bit like,” Elena admitted. Mateo laughed.

“Grandfather did look fit to burst.” He said, then shrugged. “At least Therese will be ticked off.”

“There is that. Of course Grandfather couldn’t ask how the books looked after the opening even though he knows I had to take a look.”

“Because you aren’t as firm about no Sunday work as he is.”

“True.”

“You know he is going to call first thing Monday.”

“I know. But unfortunately for him I will be in meetings most of Monday,” Elena thought about it for a second and then added. “And I have plans Monday night so Tuesday will have to do. Unless he catches Roger.”

“And Roger will tell him to talk to you. That is very cruel.”

“I know,” Elena grinned, her headache starting to fade a little.

“So what’s up Monday night? Andre finally work up to asking you out?”

“I seems so,” she answered navigating her way through the four way stop. “Why can people never get this right,” she muttered. “You’d think the stop signs would be a clue.”

“So where are you going?” Mateo asked he batted his eyes at her in a teasing way.

“You are lucking I’m driving so I can’t throw anything at you. We are going bowling.”

“Bowling,” he repeated.

“Yes Bowling.”

“Nice,” Mateo said after a few seconds of thought. “Neutral location, if small talk fails you can talk about how bad you are at bowling and if all else fails you have a heavy object to hurl.”

“Uh huh,” Elena said, turning onto Ralston Dr. “It might also be nice to have something to hurl after my Monday meetings.”

“Anticipating trouble?”

“Not really,” she said. “Just some possible drama. I am really ready to get back sky side.” Beside her Mateo sucked in air sharply between his teeth. Elena laughed. “Relax. I swept the car for bugs and removed the two I found. Currently they are sitting in a potted plant down on Grand Street.”

“A nice addition to the streetscape.”

“I thought so.”

“Are you sure you got all of them?”

“Nope,” Elena said but I am about 85% sure. Peter left me a present for the grand opening last night.” Elena told him about the detector and what she had found. “I’m a little wierded out that Peter can get into my place so easily but I am inclined to be a little forgiving now that there are no bugs in my shower.”

“If it helps any it was probably Thomas who broke in.”

“It doesn’t but thanks.” Elena thought briefly of her parents.

“Is that what is wrong?” Mateo asked.

“It shows?”

“Not well, but there were flashes of things.”

“At brunch Lisa mentioned my parents. It started me thinking a bit that’s all.”

“Anything you want to mention?” Mateo asked as they pulled up in front of the sandwich shop.

“Not in 30 seconds or less. Mostly stuff I need to think about for the moment.”

“We should have plenty of time sky side.”

“When do you think it will be ready?”

“I can get it installed Wednesday and Thursday so we can be ready to sail with the tide come Friday morning if you are ready.” Mateo smiled at Elena’s smile of relief. “You can take the pilot off the ship.”

“True,” she said. “I am so ready to go.” She did some quick math in her head. “Things should be somewhat settled by then. I’m going to be talking to Benjamin Valentine about the possibility of coming. He asked for a ride and if things check out, I’m going to let him join. Any objections?”

“Not really, I don’t know him well. You think it’s wise?”

“Probably not but you will be operating machinery only you know how to deal with and I’m keeping the ship safe. It might be a good idea to have a third person who can pitch in if there is a problem. Besides if things go well all he will be able to see is that we took some readings and slowed down a bit in a safe section of space. He wouldn’t be able to see the channel unless we went through it.”

“Sounds like a good idea. If he can be trusted.”

“That would be why I’ve got the questions.”

“Well I will leave you to your questions.” Mateo said reaching for the handle. “I need to go get ready for my evening’s entertainment.”

“Oh, anyone I know this time?”

“Isa.”

“Therese’s friend Isa?” Elena asked with a grin. Mateo shrugged.

“That would be the one. She’s in town for the opening and staying at the hotel. She wanted to come here but I think that is mostly to see what I was working on with you.”

“I’d watch out for her. She is mean and fights dirty.”

“True, but she is also pretty hot. And she isn’t exactly the kind anyone would keep for more than an evening.” Mateo grinned. “Besides, she’ll mostly be trying to weasel info so she’ll be playing nice.”

“She does love trying to play mind games,” Elena said. Personally Isa always gave her a headache.

“True, but since she isn’t smart enough to be good at them, it really doesn’t matter.” Mateo opened the door and stepped out. He leaned down. “Besides, it will really tick Therese off.” He winked and closed the car door. Elena watched him cross in front of the car and into his building. She shook her head and smiled as she pulled away from the curb. She had forgotten how much amusement Mateo got from tweaking Therese’s tail.

“I suppose everyone needs a hobby,” she muttered with amusement. She drove the short way to her apartment, parked in the garage and used the back entrance into her building. As a consequence she used the back staircase and to her surprise caught Jonathan on the landing. He was watching the main staircase and didn’t hear her. She ducked low hoping to avoid him, even if it did make her feel like a coward. She had to get through the rest of the information in the two books her grandfather had given her before her morning meeting and had no time to play with the military.

To her surprise he popped the lock on Kiera’s apartment and let himself in. Elena watched him sneak in and waited a few seconds. She wasn’t sure if he was watching through the peephole or doing something in her neighbor’s place. Feeling both sneaky and silly, Elena dropped back down to the floor below hers and crossed it to reach the main stair case. She quietly made her way up and let herself into her own apartment.

She closed the door quietly behind her and leaned against it, peering through the judas hole and into the hallway. From her position she had a clear view of Kiera’s doorway. Elena was fairly sure Jonathan had not slipped back out of the apartment and waited on tiptoes. Her calves were beginning to cramp from her position and she was wondering if she had missed Jonathan’s exit. Silently Kiera’s door opened a sliver. There was a pause and Elena held her breath. Quickly the door opened, Jonathan stepped into the hall, shutting the door behind him and stepping away. He looked towards Elena’s door and stepped towards it. She backed away quickly, avoiding all the squeaky spots. She was standing in the kitchen when Jonathan’s knock sounded. She debated answering. On one hand she didn’t want to talk to him. On the other, he might break in while she was here.

“Hold on,” she called. She walked towards the door, making certain to step on every squeaky board. She leaned heavily on the door, making it rock slightly in its frame. Elena stepped away and opened the door.

“Why is it that no one else ever stops by, just you and Smith?” she asked. “Did you send out a memo?”

“Nope, no memo, just lucky I guess.” He looked her up and down quickly, taking in her coat and purse still slung over her shoulder. “Are you just getting in?”

“Yes and I have a lot of work to do so I don’t really have time to play the why won’t you work for us game. I do have a present for you though.”

“Oh?” Jonathan looked skeptical.

“Hold on a moment.” Elena walked to her guest room and removed the strip of tape from her speaker. There was a slight residue but not as much as she feared. She walked back into the living room and handed the strip to Jonathan who waited on the door step.

“I was especially un-amused by the one in my bathroom. Now if you will excuse me I have some work to do.”

“Okay,” Jonathan said. “I don’t suppose it would help if I said none of this was my idea.” His half smile was a bit rueful and again she got the impression that he just might be a nice guy if he weren’t forced into this particular role. She sighed heavily.

“Not really. But I understand the following orders bit.” He nodded and turned away. She heard his heavy tread on the stairs as she shut the door. Elena leaned on the door and spent a long few moments in thought, wondering what she was going to do with this new turn of events.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a few quick notes: When you suddenly wrote 'the three' I got somewhat confused; I had totally forgotten about Mateo. Maybe you should do something about that. 'Take the pilot off the ship.' - ditto. I was thinking pilot as in pilot and not pilot... Oh, and I can't really wrap my brain around the layout of the house with its main and back stairs. So... when can I have the next one? Please?