Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Storm Chaser: Chapter 56

Chapter 56



Nothing appeared to have changed from their last visit and Elena assisted the unloading of the gear from the Storm Chaser. Most of the supplies such as food and water had been loaded on the Crazy Chicken, which was staying, but Mateo’s gadgets and gizmos as well as the supply containers were sent to shore on one of the small boats. It took several trips and most of the day to unload. The Storm Chaser spend one night docked at the long pier. As the sun rose the next day, all of the crew except Benjamin left the Storm Chaser. As they weighed anchor and pulled away, Elena felt a little sad.

“It’s like we left the kids at summer camp,” Benjamin said handing her a cup of coffee as she piloted them back towards the channel.

“And they were very excited to stay weren’t they?” She said laughing. “Kind of wish I could stay with them.”

“Me too but someone has to figure out a way to keep the planet so they can continue to play.”

“This is true,” she said with a laugh. “And just think of all the handy crafts they will have to show us from arts and class hour.”

As the trip from the planet to the Docking Facility was in protected space, the journey was uneventful. Still the butterflies danced in her belly more and more the closer they sailed. As she circled looking for a port, Elena noticed most of the councilors, including Peter, Riko and her grandfather were docked. She mentally calculated the dates and realized it was close to one to the scheduled meeting days. As people were more or less constantly mobile during the season the council had set up certain scheduled days where people could do business with the council without disrupting normal trade.

“Handy,” she thought. “Maybe I won’t have to wait too long to have my proposal read.” As she expected, the available port she found most convenient was next to Riko’s ship. Elena had the feeling the counselor was making a point of not going away.

“I wonder if she has actually done any trading this season or if she just dedicated it to lurking,” Elena mused as the ship was secured in place.

“Good luck,” Benjamin told her.

“Thanks,” she called. “I’ll let you know as soon as we need to shove off.” She slung her small travel bag over her shoulder and gathered the proposals in her arms. The hard copy for the librarians was tucked into her bag although she planned on transferring an electronic copy to Evan first. The paper copy was in case he needed it later. As she stepped on to the dock, despite the crowds her eyes found Riko immediately. She was talking to Peter and neither of them looked happy with the situation.

Deciding waiting would be cowardly Elena walked up to them. They did not notice her until she was near enough to stop at a polite distance. She noticed their conversation seemed composed of nearly hissing comments. She cleared her throat and both heads swung towards her, reptilian fast. Elena fought hard to maintain her polite smile and not flinch. After a brief pause both Peter and Riko adopted polite masks as well.

“Am I interrupting?” She asked trying to sound innocent.

“Not at all,” Riko said sweetly.

“Of course not,” Peter echoed. “It is always a pleasure.”

“Thank you,” Elena said. “With the season beginning it’s decent I was anxious to complete some business.”

“Profitable business I hope?” Riko asked. Elena could see the somewhat smug look Riko shot Peter.

“One always hopes business is profitable,” Elena replied. She held out the top proposal and Riko took it from her with a snap. “This is a potential project I would be delighted if you would consider for possible partnership. It is of course contingent on council approval.” Elena indicated the stack she continued to hold. “I will be sending them via currier to the council hall momentarily but I thought as you were both here I would deliver yours in person, yours as you should know how the proposal I have given you fits into the whole and you Peter as thanks for all of your assistance.” She handed each of them the council proposal as Peter shot Riko a smug look.

“I take it Kiera has worked out?” Peter asked. Riko’s eyes narrowed in speculation.

“Yes, and thank you so much for expediting her vetting process. Without that I doubt I would be presenting the proposal this season.”

“A pleasure of course,” Peter told her.

“Andre has also been an invaluable member of my team as well, for which your family should be complemented. Now if you will excuse me, I need to get these to the appropriate currier.”

“That won’t be necessary,” Riko said. She turned looked at a small rather non-descript man standing off to the side. She snapped her fingers and he let to attention, racing across the hall to her side.

“Yes councilor how may I be of assistance?” He asked. His tone was pure differential. At best Elena could manage polite. ‘I would never make a good currier,’ she thought. Riko waved towards Elena’s stack of proposals.

“These need to be distributed to members of the council immediately. Both Baranov and I have our copies, these need to be delivered to the others.” The man reached for the stack and Elena passed it to him. Both Riko and Peter were staring at her.

“Thank you,” she responded. The currier dashed off on his deliveries. Elena smiled. “That saved quite a bit of time councilor, thank you.” She inclined her head. “If you will excuse me now, I have been too long from port.” She left the two of them standing there but could still see their reflection in the shiny surface of the walls. They both looked after her for a moment, looked at each other and turned to go their separate ways, whatever discussion they had been having previously forgotten. She was halfway to her quarters when she realized they had paused to allow her to correct Riko’s assessment.

“They expected me to have already alerted Grandfather,” she said. She thought about his insistence that she needed to stand on her own and be seen as an independent. She recalled his informing her of the descending guild members and that it would be her job to deal with them. While she often thought the other council members knew more of Alexandro because she refused to look at the dark side of his position she realized that as far as the family went, the rest of the council did not know him at all.

“Had I called grandfather before the others he would probably be upset.” She continued on to her quarters. “At best he would have gotten his copy with a note not to share and then a second copy with every one else’s so his pre-notice would not be evident.” After all it wouldn’t do to advertize family preference, even if people knew it happened. “Other wise I’d risk having my house merely an extension of Grandfather’s will and not really a house in its own right.” Elena entered her quarters and dropped her bag onto the couch.

She took her flash drive and following the instructions Evan Gregg had left her, transmitted the electronic copy of her proposal to him for his perusal. Having succeeded in conducting business so quickly, Elena decided on a long hot shower after which she dressed in an old t-shirt and a pair of yoga pants. She was too tired to go out and figured it would be at least morning before anyone would contact her. Elena curled up with a mug of tea and her reader.

Unable to resist she had downloaded one of her old favorites. It was the story of the pilot Eliza Franks and her many great escapes. Elena was halfway through Eliza’s counter raid of a matrovian raiding ship when the door bell sounded. Elena looked up from her reader blinking. She had forgotten to change the ring tone so the longer she took answering it, the louder it became. Elena cursed her forgetfulness and answered the door before it reached too disturbing a volume. To her surprise Evan Greggs waited on her doorstep.

“Oh come in Mr. Greggs,” She said stepping to the side. I’m afraid I wasn’t expecting company.” She indicated her clothing. He waved away her concerns.

“Not a problem, not a problem.” She showed him to a seat and resumed her place.

“Would you like some tea?” She offered.

“No I am fine and I will not take up more of your time than is needed. I received your proposal.” Evan beamed at her and Elena felt like a prize student in a spelling bee. “Simply wonderful. Upon first blush it has all that we require. I realize that you will also be using the area for commerce which is fine. I also noticed that you would more than likely be partnering with Councilor Inoe Riko for this venture?”

“Yes sir, I have made a proposal to her, contingent on council approval.”

“I must say I was quite impressed.”

“Oh,” Elena asked. “Riko does not partner with others often?”

“No not very often. Mostly because she is difficult to deal with. What I find impressive is that you found a way to deal with her.” He smiled and Elena laughed.

“The thought that even Riko would not wish to tangle with the Librarians had crossed my mind. And as I have no desire to pillage this new planet, stripping it completely of its resources when it could be of much greater benefit then a quick profit it seemed like a good fit.”

“Indeed,” Evan said. “And the House of Librarians agrees with you. We will conditionally accept your offer. It is my understanding that you will not announce that your gift to the guild is a home for the Library until after they have accepted your proposal?”

“Yes I felt that they would be more apt to approve if they thought the Guild tithe was the typical percentage.”

“You are Alexandro’s child,” he said with a chuckle. “We believe this will be prudent. The Council will want one of their own to vouch for your findings and given the potential partnership I suspect it will be Riko who is chosen for that task. The Librarians have already received a verification request from the Council asking that we verify the space is not currently claimed by any race known to us. While we have already checked the charts and found this to be true we wish to send one of our number to accompany you on this trip. We will tell the council it is due to the unusual nature of the request that we wish to do so.”

“I understand,” Elena said. “I would feel the same in your place.”

“If you have space, I would like for myself and one of my apprentices to go.”

“With the exception of Benjamin all of my crew remained on the planet while I returned to make the proposals. There will be space but it will be in the general crew’s quarters.”

“That will be fine. I do not need the trappings of power to remind others that I do indeed have power.” Evan rose. “I will leave you to your repose. I have the feeling we will be seeing each other very shortly. I do not think Riko has the patience to wait long when such a juicy morsel is dangled before her eyes. Goodnight Elena Calabrese.”

“Goodnight Evan Greggs. It was nice to have met you even though I will pretend not to know you in the morning.” He laughed and she let him into the hallway.

“Very much like your grandfather.” Elena closed the door behind him and returned to the couch. Somehow the daring exploits of old failed to entice her and she put the reader down and sipped her tea in thought before heading to bed.

1 comment:

Eldoran said...

I'm curious, is the story about Eliza Franks a reference to famous english literature? Apart of that is it inside the story supposed to be a semi historical story (with possibly a edited version for the general public) or a adaption of a non guild related story?

I think these are minor typos:

The Storm Chaser spend one night docked at the long pier.
...spent...?

His tone was pure differential.
...deferential.?