Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Keeper: Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Jamie left the study and headed back down to the kitchen. He didn’t know if anyone was watching the upper windows for movement so he ducked low and avoided them. He felt a little silly doing so, as if he had been transported into some sort of spy movie, but the thought of the crushed bed was a good motivator.




“After all,” he thought, “If you wanted to kill someone how much easier would a sniper be?” Del was mixing something in a bowl when Jamie entered the kitchen. Luckily he was far enough away from the windows. Thinking more of snipers than anything else Jamie was glad the man was safe. Del glanced at Jamie with his usual smile but when he spotted the look on Jamie’s have the smile fell.



“What’s happened?”



“House says someone is sneaking around the outside. Whoever it is accidentally brushed up against the glass when looking in.”



Del’s face darkened at the news. “I see,” he said. His set the bowl down and picked up a wicked looking cleaver. Jamie swallowed hard.



“I’d rather find out a few things than scare him away.”



“I can find out a few things.”



“Without bloodshed if possible.” Jamie looked pointedly at the cleaver and Del sighed. He put the cleaver down and picked up a rolling pin. It was the marble one that Millie had always used for pasteries.



“Better?” Del asked.



“Yes, thank you.”



“They started it you know.”



“I know ,” Jamie told him. Del seemed disappointed by the change in weapon but he didn’t reach for the cleaver again. “We need a plan.” Del shrugged.



“I sneak outside knock them out tie them to a chair and when they wake up you ask your questions,” Del said. “What more of a plan do we need?” Jamie frowned. Somehow he thought Del’s tap on the noggin with the marble rolling pin might not be something their intruder would wake up from.



“The intruder has stepped on to the porch, Keeper.” House said. It sounded affronted by the action.



“He’s on the porch?” Jamie responded.



“How do you know that?” Del asked.



“What?”



“How do you know the intruder is on the porch?” Del asked again.



“House just told me. You didn’t hear?”



“No,” Del responded shaking his head.



“Great, so I’m the only one who can hear the house talk. Why is that not comforting?” Del chuckled.



“It means you are the true Keeper. The House is keyed to you. It wouldn’t do for it to be blabbing to everyone the secrets it keeps for you.”

“I suppose that’s true,” Jamie conceded.



“But I suppose if he is on the porch He shouldn’t be too hard to find.” Del started to move to the back door that led out into the kitchen garden. “I’ll just sneak around the side. You stay here.” Before Jamie could protest there was a knock at the front door. Both of them turned, startled by the sound.



“That’s not usually how intruders operate,” Del said.



“No it isn’t.” Jamie agreed. “New plan. You go answer the door and show our guest into the parlor. Try to find out what he wants without the rolling pin. I’ll stay out of sight.” The knock sounded again and Del moved towards the front door. Jamie noticed he didn’t put the rolling pin down.



“I’m coming,” He called. The knocking stopped. Jamie slipped into the informal parlor where he could listen in while not being seen. Once Del was certain he was out of sight he opened the door. Standing on the doorstep was a rather ordinary looking man. He was dressed in cream colored slacks with a white dress shirt neatly tucked in. He had skinny tan suspenders with shiny silver fasteners. They appeared to be more of an affectation rather than pants support. His shoes were soft brown leather and he was tapping one foot rather impatiently. By his feet was a brown leather suitcase. The man had light brown hair and brown eyes. His nose reminded Jamie of a Greek statue as it was sharply pointed. Jamie watched him in the reflection of the doors glass. He frowned at Del.



“It is about time,” he said sharply. “Do you leave all of your guests stranded out her for this long? If so that will be changing immediately.” The man tried to step forward over the threshold but Del did not give way.



“May I help you sir?” Del asked. The man snorted.



“Do you not know who I am? Have you not been told of my arrival?”



“No sir I have not.” Jamie had to give Del points for maintaining an even tone of voice if nothing else.



“I am the interim Keeper. I would have thought that much would have been clear.”



“Interim keeper?” Del asked.



“Yes, yes,” the man said. ‘It is unfortunate that the keeper was killed without naming a successor but these things happen. I will be in charge until it gets all sorted out.” He looked down at Del. “And I can say I will be sorting out a few things here as well.”



“I see sir.” Del said. “Why don’t you come into the parlor then and sit down after your no doubt long trip.” Del stepped to the side to allow the man passage. Jamie couldn’t see Del’s face but if he had been the man on the porch nothing would have gotten him to go into the parlor. Del’s voice made it sound like something of a gallows invitation. The man however was not Jamie and his tone softened with the invitation.



“Finally, some decent manners.” He stepped over the threshold. “Have my bags brought to my room and fetch some tea while you are at it.” The man turned to the formal parlor and walked into the room without looking back. Del shut the door, leaving the suitcase on the porch. Jamie snuck into the hallway as Del followed the man into the parlor.



“May I ask sir,” Del began. “Who sent you?” There was another snort from the man.



“The High Talbot of course. Who else? Now I find I am hungry as well. With the tea please bring me a light snack to tide me over for dinner. When you return I will look over the evening menu and decide if it is appropriate.” In the hallway Jamie rolled his eyes and decided he had had enough.



“I don’t think that will be necessary Del,” he said stepping into the formal parlor. The man was sitting in one of the red striped chairs and as Jamie entered he stood.



“You dare to countermand one of my orders to my staff?” The man said indignantly. “Who do you think you are?”



“How rude of me, Please allow me to introduce myself. I am James Fulton, Keeper of the Crossroads. The rock missed.” Color drained from the man’s face. He started to stammer out a response but no words came. He bolted trying to run for the door but Del was faster than he was. He tripped the man and he went sprawling, hitting his head on the edge of the table on the way down. He was unconscious when he hit the floor. Del tapped the rolling pin he still carried against his leg.



“I guess I didn’t need this after all.”



“I guess not,” Jamie said. He bent over to make sure the man was still breathing. To Jamie’s relief, he was. They both looked at him for a moment.



“I’ll go get the rope from the kitchen. We can decide what to do after he is secure.”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is getting so intriguing.
I love the relationship between James & Del.
Thank you Val.
I am eagerly looking forward to more - of course. Hahaha!

Anonymous said...

So... Set up or not. In any case: Big mistake. Very big mistake.

Dan T said...

Bahahaha!

I love it!

Eldoran said...

Yes big mistake. I was wondering - if I remember correctly Jamie was supposedly killed only a few hours ago right? I simply don't understand how mister impostor expected this to work. There must either be a yet unmentioned rule which essentially lets the first candidate assume the position (if no successor is defined - could be in the missing books), or he didn't know how difficult it is to get approved by house and essentially before the keepers death is acknowledged (a time when only the killer is able to know - typical slip up by the murderer).

Anonymous said...

ooow the plot thickens...

buzybee06 said...

ooow the plot thickens...