Monday, April 18, 2011

Keeper: Chapter 34

Chapter 34


Terrell stepped back, seemingly somewhat shocked as the High Talbot pronounced the words of closing. Jamie stood up and stepped down the steps and into the yard. The low murmurs of conversation increased and the yard took on the air of a garden party rather than a court hearing. The general feeling seemed to be of approval and Jamie found smiles greeting him from all sides as formalities slipped and introductions were made. Albe’s teachings and Alexander’s drawings spun in his head and he had a hard time keeping track of who he was greeting. No one seemed to mind his dazed expression though.



“Hadrus of the Gladonir,” a man with a smirk introduced himself. “Congratulations on your first ruling.” Jamie politely accepted the complement, vaguely recalling that the Gladonir had no love for either the Gederan or the Federan due to some sort of land dispute.



“Keelt,” introduced another person who stood barely knee high. The dress she wore was an eye searing yellow and covered with large print fuchsia flowers. By contrast the large robin’s egg blue straw hat seemed quite restful. Unfortunately, it obscured her face completely and Jamie couldn’t begin to guess her race. He managed a polite hello before being spun about by a creature with a large belly and a walrus like mustache. The term bodkin flew through his mind as introductions were made. The bodkin didn’t get to keep him for long however and Jamie soon found himself passed into a gaggle of sprites, who then passed him to a pack of gnomes.



Jamie quickly began to feel like an out of control pinball. Some of the creatures he could identify by race. Some had house names that his mind could latch on to and others were people he had actually met during his training. Some of the folks he met wore deeply hooded cloaks, disguising themselves but Jamie took no offense as he knew those that did were hiding more from the light than him. Eventually it ended. Jamie stood on the porch exhaustedly watching the last of his guests disappear into the cross roads. He was still dizzy from the introductions and a little stunned that the episode had ended so well. He stared out into the yard for a moment, somehow mystified.



A large group had just left the yard. They drank and ate, talked and laughed yet there was no sign that they had been there. The grass was not trampled, the gravel was in place. There were no empty cups or plates stashed anywhere. It was as if nothing had ever happened.



“That went well,” Del said, appearing by his side. The small man was wiping his hands on a spotless dishtowel and looking satisfied.



“It did, didn’t it? The Gederan and Federan didn’t seem pleased but I suppose that is understandable,” Jamie said. Del snorted.



“They won’t be happy until a decision is made. And even then they probably won’t be happy.”



“Well one of them will be I expect,” Jamie said with a sardonic smile.



“I doubt it,” Dell said with a shrug. “One will be upset if they lose but the winner will still be upset that you didn’t see it was their right all along.”



“So then no one will be happy, regardless of what I do,” Jamie mused. “That sounds familiar.” The sound of gravel crunching reached their ears and Jamie turned to see Jim walking towards the house.



“I thought you left,” Jamie called as Jim neared.



“I did,” Jim said. “Because of the new lock I parked on the other side of the gate and walked in.”



“Sorry about that,” I didn’t realize anyone with a car would be coming out here for this.” Jamie gestured for Jim to join him and Jim stepped onto the porch.



“No problem,” Jim said, waving off the apology. “I usually don’t tend to come to these sort of things unless I’m needed but it was hard to pass up the opportunity to see a new Keeper’s first ruling. Besides the walk was good for me.”



“Ah,” Jamie said. “Not exactly Perry Mason worthy but I think I managed to pull it off.”



“You impressed me,” Jim said. “And I have to say I’m glad the little guy Maashin didn’t get punished.”



“Rooting for the underdog?”



“Seems he was already duped which is punishment in itself.”



“That was my thinking,” Jamie said.



“Figured as much,” Jim said. At Jamie’s raised eyebrow Jim chuckled. “I grew up with you remember.”



“True,” Jamie conceded with a smile. “Does that mean you have insider info?”



“Hardly,” Jim said. “Anyway I came back because when I got near where I parked my car I noticed another one heading this way. As it looked like Michael’s van I came back to warn you that you might have some additional company soon.”



“Just what this night needs,” Jamie said. Del’s face darkened at the news and Jamie sighed. The wind sighed along with him making the tree limbs rattle and shake. Jamie wondered if any of the night creatures were still out and about. He shivered with the bite of cold in the wind. “No use making it look like we were expecting him,” Jamie decided. “Would you like to come in for a drink?”



“Sure,” Jim replied a grin on his face. The three of them went into the house, closing off the chill of the night. Jamie made sure the door was locked.



“I’ll check the back and make sure nothing has been accidentally left open,” Dell said.



“Thanks,” Jamie told his retreating back. Neither the formal nor the family parlor seemed appropriate so Jamie led Jim up to the library. Jamie moved slowly, knowing Jim would want to look around. Even with checking the locks on the doors, Del had made it to the library before they did and a merry fire was burning in the fireplace. A crystal decanter half filled with amber liquid was placed on one of the side tables, two matching glasses beside it. Jamie poured out two glasses and they each settled comfortably in the warn leather chairs. Jamie found himself straining to hear a possible approach by Michael and shook his head.



“You know I always pictured Albe sitting here on a long winter evening with a couple of his friends,” Jamie said to distract himself. “I figured they might be a couple of white haired old gents swapping stories about the past. The last few days have somewhat altered that.”



“I’m willing to believe that,” Jim said taking a sip of his drink. “The first week I was allowed into the more outrĂ© of the law practice I was told I would be dealing with a land transfer and will restructuring. Given the amount of property involved I thought I would be dealing with a crotchety old land baron who didn’t like the life choices of one of his children.”



“What did you end up with?” Jamie asked his amusement showing.



“A troll, one of the Sengal clan. He had passed for human for about eighty years and needed to will his property to himself so he could fake his own death.”



“So not a crotchety old man then.” Jamie knew the Sengal clan was not as hairy or as massive as some of their cousins. In fact they were considered the runts of the troll species. They were still large for humans but not overly so and in some places could pass.



“Well he was quite crotchety,” Jim admitted. Jamie laughed. And for the first time since Albe’s death, he felt something in him loosen.



“You know it feels really good to talk to someone who knows about,” Jamie waved his free hand in the air as though searching for the end of the sentence.



“I know,” Jim said with a smile. “You either know or you don’t. It kinda changes your world view a bit.”



“Yeah,” Jamie replied. “When I went into the hardware store I started evaluating people. I saw a gnome and someone who a few generations back had an ancestor who wasn’t human. Made me wonder about Mrs. Kirkpatrick.”



“Mrs. Kirkpatrick was just pure evil,” Jim replied. “Although if you do find out she was a goblin or troll or something I want to be on the list of people you tell.”



“Deal,” Jamie said. “I’m half convinced she could spit acid although I don’t know what race that would be.”



“That would be the pure evil part,” Jim said. They sat in silence for a little while. It was companionable silence though the backdrop of the crackling fire made it feel cozy.



“I really will miss seeing Albe,” Jim said. “It seems real now that they found him.”



“I know,” Jamie said. “The High Talbot is scanning him…the body, for traces of magic. He said it will take a few days. Which is about how long it will take for the headstone to be carved. I’m going to bury him in the family plot out here if you would like to come.”



“I’d like that,” Jim said.



“It will be a very small ceremony,” Jamie said. “I doubt many of his friends will come. They seemed to say their goodbyes when they came to see me.”



“They aren’t really much on funeral rites,” Jim said.



“Makes sense,” Jamie responded. “One of his friends told me that the problem with making friends with mortals is that you never knew how long you had them for.” Jim chuckled and shook his head.



“So us mortals will say goodbye to one of our own in our own way,” Jim commented. Jamie lifted his glass in mock salute but before he could comment he was interrupted by House.



“Keeper, there is a man on the porch.” Jim looked at Jamie quizzically.



“Apparently Michael has arrived,” Jamie informed him.

5 comments:

DigitalMaestro said...

Thanks for another good read!

-DM

Steve said...

Nice to read the post, I get the feeling that big brother is going to make himself even more unpopular. ps any news on the third pilot book?

Hawkeye said...

Thanks for the new chapter!

And I would also like to know if you have any news for us on the next pilot book?

Hawkeye

HugoP said...

Hello
First let me just tell you it's very good to see you are back to writing. I hope real life is treating you good.

Can you tell me where I can buy ebooks versions of your pilot books? I'd like to buy the 3 of them :)

thank you

Unknown said...

Actually that is something I am working on. I'm hoping to have the first two (Pilot and Storm Chaser) up as e-books in May. Alliance (the third book) should be available in June. I will post the info here when they become available. And so that my happy dance is not misinterpreted as final proof of insanity. v