Friday, December 12, 2008

storm chaser: chapter 15

This is the first time I've been near a computer all day... Sorry for the morning and lunch readers.

Chapter 15

Coming up with suitable explanations for why the military represented by Smith, was paying her house calls was not easy. Elena ran through several possibilities but all of them sounded fairly flimsy. By the time she pulled up in front of the location for the meeting she was somewhat frustrated.

“If people didn’t know that I run an imports store it would be easier,” she said as she gathered her papers and slid out of the vehicle. “After all you can hide a multitude of sins with words like consultant or contractor. Imports store owner just makes it sound like I’m smuggling.” Elena thought about it for a second. “That might have possibilities,” she muttered. With a start Elena realized she was standing in front of the newly re-modeled restaurant she had seen on her way in. One other car was parked in the lot and as she looked around a large woman came to the door of the restaurant. The woman was in her fifties or sixties and had long black hair liberally streaked with gray. Some of the gray stripes had been dyed a bright green. The hair had been braided into two long braids and the braids wrapped around her head like a coronet. She wore what looked to be some sort of cross between a pirate shirt and an old world peasant blouse with billowing sleeves and intricate embroidery along most of the surface. The ties keeping it closed strained against her amble bosom. Underneath the embroidery Elena could see the shirt had been dyed a virulent purple. After the shirt the baggy black chefs pants tucked into worn combat boots barely registered a flicker. Elena walked over a smile on her face. After all she had seen weirder outfits.

“Hi,” Elena said. “Are you Ms. McCracken?” The woman smiled.

“Ms. I like that,” she let out a staccato burst of laughter. “I am Consuelo.” Consulo held out her hand and Elena shook it. “Come inside, Ms. Calabrese.”

“Elena,” she said. Consuelo nodded.

“Elena then.” Consuelo turned and walked back into the restaurant. Elena followed in her wake. As she walked into the building she took a deep breath and frowned. “Is there a problem?” Consuelo asked.

“No problem,” Elena assured her. “I just didn’t expect it to smell like new wood and fresh paint.” Consuelo nodded.

“That is because I have not yet started to cook.”

“So this is your restaurant?” Elena asked. Consuelo shook her head.

“Not entirely. I am a partner. I cook I don’t do other things. Other people do other things but don’t cook. So we make a deal.” She smiled and started to laugh. It was silent laughter that shook her entire massive frame. Elena thought it looked like watching video of an earthquake with the sound off. “Could you see me talking to the bank and prospective investors or whoever?” she asked when the quake died down to tremors.

“We all have our strong suits,” Elena said with a smile, not sure f agreeing with the woman could be taken as an insult or camaraderie. “I’m a pilot,” she said. “I don’t do too well taking orders.” She thought about it a second. “Well from anyone but a captain.”

“And now you are your own captain so no more orders.”

“That is a bonus.” Consuelo led Elena over to one of the tables in the center of the room. Papers were already spread thickly over it’s surface. She indicated a chair and Elena sat, placing her thin file on top of some of the pages.

“So you are the one selling off world foods on world?” Consuelo began.

“I am,” Elena said matter of factly. “We are officially opening this Saturday.”

“It is good to know I can still get good foods then.”

“Well they may look a little different. We had to repackage them.” Consuelo raised an eyebrow in question.

“So these are not being sold to just the guild but the outside world. My my. The Baranov did not tell me this part. No wonder you have captured his interest.”

“The Baranov?” Elena said.

“Is there more than one that matters? So this is a large venture. I have made cards as he asked. Showing recipes I do not mind sharing.” She sifted through her papers and came up with several recipe cards she handed over to Elena. Elena flipped through them and felt her mouth water at the descriptions.

“We’ll have to change the name on the ingredients to match what we renamed them in the store.” Elena said half to herself. She caught the grin on Consuelo’s face and realized the woman thought of this as a big in joke. ‘In a way she is right,’ Elena thought as she began to discuss the cards as side items next to the items for sale. It would provide the customers ideas on how to use the items in case they were stumped. When they were through Consuelo leaned back in her chair and looked Elena over as if just seeing her for the first time.

“I think I am going to like you,” she pronounced. “I was not sure at first.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, from The Baranov’s description I did not think this would be so, but then I talked to Bennie V and he says you are all right. I think Bennie has the right of it though.”

“Bennie V?” Elena asked.

“Benjamin Valentine,” Consuelo clarified with a smirk. Apparently the name tickled her. Again Elena wondered about Benjamin’s past.

“I see,” She said. “Well I’m glad to know impressions of me vary so greatly.” She smiled and began gathering up the papers she had brought with her. “Oh there is one more thing I would like you to look at if you have an interest,” Elena said. She pulled out a card. “This is the wine shop down the street from me. They are going to be a tasting the evening after my opening as kind of a tag team effort. We came up with the ideas of using some of the items from my store as appetizers during his event. I could just go with the basics if you aren’t interested.” Consuelo took the card.

“I could be interested,” She said.

“Good,” Elena said with a smile. “I’ll provide the ingredients and Doug will pay for the rest.” Elena handed Consuelo one of her cards. “Just call and get the details from him then call and I’ll send over what you need.” Consuelo laughed.

“Oh yes,” she said. “Bennie V. had the right of it.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elena at her best. It's always fun seeing how things fall into place.

I wonder though, are the recipes intended to be the equivalent to commonly known dishes (meaning "everyone" in the families would know)?

The other thing is the wine tasting. I can't remember that something beyond the possible involvement was ever mentioned and did I miss getting Doug into the "cast"?


Finally the sentence below seemed grammatically shaky, but I'm not sure.
They are going to be a tasting the evening after my opening as kind of a tag team effort.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I missed mentioning, that the naming of the chapter is inconsistent (no capital letters)